Our mission statement
For Kambrya College to be the school of choice for young and aspiring musicians. We will foster a culture of music performance and musicianship at junior level and provide strong music pathways in order to effectively prepare students for VCE Music Performance.
What is the Purpose of the Program?
The AMP caters for young musicians from all backgrounds who wish to pursue their interest in music performance beyond the scope of the junior classroom music program.
The program aims to provide your child with the opportunity to:
- Apply their practical knowledge on their chosen instrument
- Perform regularly in a variety of contexts in front of their peer group, other members of the college and the wider community
- Participation in instrumental music ensemble/s
- Further develop and expand their knowledge and musicianship through exposure to different genres and styles and expert instruction
- Be involved in an exclusive band/ensemble program
How is the program structured?
The prospective structure of the Accelerated Music Program is as follows:
- One 90-minute ensemble/instrumental masterclass per week on Wednesday afternoon 2:30pm
- Additional classes/lessons subject to approval, dependent on participant numbers
Please note the nature of this program is heavily dependent on the number and type of applicants and may be subject to change.
What are the Expectations of Students in the Program?
Expectations are high for students in the AMP. Your child will be expected to:
- Have some prior knowledge and playing ability on their instrument of choice
- Willingness to perform regularly in front of others including other college ensembles if required
- Actively participate in the program, rehearsals and performances as determined by music staff
- Have access to the instrument of their choice outside of the college and commit to regular practice at home each week
- Receive regular instrumental lessons on their chosen instrument – these lessons may or may not be offered at Kambrya College and is dependent on availability
- Have an open mind when being exposed to new, different and unfamiliar styles of music
- Conduct themselves in a manner that meets the College’s rules and expectations
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times towards staff and ensemble members
- Maintain acceptable results in their Interim and Semester Reports across all subjects. This will be based on an individual basis and will be at the discretion of AMP staff and Principal Team. Students will be expected to demonstrate genuine effort in all aspects of their schooling
- Maintain 90% attendance to all classes and scheduled masterclasses
How are Students Assessed Throughout the Program?
Students will be assessed via the following:
- Regular performance feedback (informal and ongoing)
- AMP Performance Assessment Tasks
- Assessment rubrics adapted from the VCE model
- Semester reports
What Pathways at Kambrya College are Available if My Child is in this Program?
Need a digital copy of the pathways chart
Are There Any Fees Associated With the Program?
As participation in the Accelerated Music Program is voluntary, not all of the cost will be covered within the College budget. In 2018 the entry fee for the AMP will be $500 including private lessons at the college or $300 if students take external private lessons (conditions apply).
What does the AMP fee cover?
- Maintenance of Music equipment and instruments
- Specialised instruction
- Rehearsal Program
- Access to industry professionals
- Course materials – including purchase of music/backing tracks etc.
- Access to Kambrya College Theatre/Practice Rooms/Rehearsal Spaces
- Excursions/Tours if applicable
Details of the application process will be made available at the information sessions on 21st March 2017 or 19th April 2017 at 6:45pm. All students wishing to apply for entry into this program will be required to:
- Complete and submit an initial expression of interest
- Ensure that KAMBRYA COLLEGE is your number one preference on the Application for Year 7 Placement form (obtained from your child’s Primary School)
- Obtain relevant references from instructors, teachers etc.
- Attend an interview and audition
Timelines and application forms will be made available at the information session, as well as the College website www.kambryacollege.com